Being a good Helper takes a lot of energy and care, but is also extremely rewarding. Even if you’ve been babysitting for years and have a lot of experience with children and babies, these 16 top tips are really great to remember – they will help you stand out, and book more jobs on Huddle.
Prior to the job
1. Turn on notifications. Check these are turned on in your settings, so you get notifications when jobs are posted near you and when you receive invitations and messages. Do this in your phone Settings, then tap Notifications and select Huddle.
2. Film a short intro video. Send us a little video to introduce yourself, and we will promote you to your local community on Huddle – read the instructions here.
3. ‘Respond quickly. When you respond to job ads quickly it shows you are proactive and communicative, which is a great thing. Always include a personal message in your application.
4. Understand expectations. It is important understand the parents’ expectations and what they are looking for from a Helper. This should be clear from their job and profile on Huddle App, however always feel free to clarify and ask more questions.
5. Confirm with parent before the job. Once you’re booked for a job on Huddle App you can find all the details, including the address in your ‘bookings’ tab and also in your email. It’s a good idea to touch base with the parent once you’ve been booked to confirm.
At the job
6. Be well-informed. Make sure you understand everything you need to do while you are Minding the children, and ensure you have all the information required. If you need, you can write it down or ask the parent to write down details for you, this can be especially helpful if there are instructions with medicine for example.
7. The children’s safety is your number one priority. Ask about any allergies or illness, know where the first aid kit is, and have the parents phone numbers and emergency numbers to hand, as well as the address of the job. And remember, never give a child medicine without the parents consent.
8. Be communicative. Don’t feel like you have to figure out everything on your own. Always reach out to the parents if you have any questions or face any issues.
9. Be active and have fun. A good babysitter will engage the child in activities. First, learn the parent’s house rules about playtime. Ask if their kid can go to a playground, what their favourite toys are, and which games and electronics are off-limits. Then plan out which activities are best to keep their child active and having fun.
10. Be watchful. Stay in close proximity to the child you’re watching. Put away your mobile phone unless you’re communicating with the parents or taking photos for them (makes sure you ask if they’d like photo updates first)!
11. Send updates. It is important to send parents updates while they are out so they know they know their children are safe, healthy and having fun, or sleeping soundly.
12. Leave everything as you found it. Always leave the house at least as clean and tidy as you found it. If you have time when the kids are occupied, it’s nice to do what you can to make the house a calm and clean environment when the parents get home. It’s a great idea to pop the toys away and wipe down surfaces.
After the job
13. Leave a review. Be sure to leave a rating and review for the family, this will help strengthen the Huddle community.
14. Book repeat jobs. Booking multiple jobs with the same family will show other families what a great Helper you are. And it will push you to the top of the Helper list so you’ll be one of the first smiley faces a parent sees when they open the app in your area.
15. Be flexible. Parents may run late or may need to leave earlier than expected. Try and be flexible. Show up a little early if you can, and understand you may be required to stay later than planned. Be clear about your limits, but be flexible. The parents can edit the start and end time if required when they finalise your payment on Huddle App.
16. Keep in touch with us. If you’d like us to feature you to local families, please reach out to email@example.com with any specific availabilities, we can do personal shout-outs for our top Helpers.
The children’s safety is the number one priority, so always be prepared for emergencies that may come up. But have some fun with the kids too – and be yourself!
Team Huddle x